Hi, I'm James! I like to build things. Primarily in software, but I'm always finding new tools and materials to work with. Much of my recent dev work has centered around web application development with React and node.js. Areas of interest include tools, education, visualizations, and generally all things web.
If you're reading this, I'd love to hear from you! Shoot some words at email@example.com.
summaryExperience designing and maintaining web applications on a variety of tech stacks, from small tools to business-critical SaaS products, most recently focused on the JS ecosystem. Ability to dive in and get up to speed quickly on new projects and technologies. Comfortable wearing multiple hats and working on cross-functional teams.
Software Development EngineerYahoo
2014 - 2016Sunnyvale, CA
- Designed and developed an internal analytics front-end using React, Redux, and D3.js.
- Contributed to a next-gen rewrite of the mobile search front-end.
- Helped administer the testing, hosting, and CI/CD pipeline for projects I worked on.
2012 - 2014Austin, TX
- Quickly became an integral member of the dev team of a successful enterprise SaaS product.
- Designed, developed, and maintained the most complex set of feeds and integrations implemented on the product.
- Committed code across the full stack of a large three-tier application - HTML/CSS/JS, C#, PL/SQL.
- Initiated and led a team of engineers tasked with supporting client implementations and custom development requests.
2011 - 2012Reno, NV
- Designed and developed websites for local businesses (primarily Wordpress).
- Implemented and maintained custom eCommerce storefronts.
- Worked with clients to understand their needs and design proposals.
- YTT Tech (2020) is a curated database of instructional Youtube videos, with an interface that encourages exploration and discovery of skills. Made with React, AWS Lambda/SAM, DynamoDB.
- Tiles (2018) is a browser-based tile visualization with a custom interface for exploring a variety of interesting patterns. Made with vanilla HTML/CSS/JS and the p5.js drawing library.
Bachelor of Science, Computer Science (2007 - 2011)University of Nevada
- Minors in Mathematics and Digital Interactive Games
- Worked in the Evolutionary Computing Systems Lab on AI for virtual Navy training scenarios.